Saturday 3 September 2016

Triple Chocolate Cookies

In GBBO, biscuits seem to have to be crisp, however I prefer mine to be more of the American-style gooey cookie. I found myself with a rare bit of spare time at the weekend (I'm normally racing, however I found out that the race was cancelled...unfortunately only after riding 50km out there...), so I had an afternoon of watching cycling, and baking.

I found some white chocolate chips in the cupboard, though not enough to do a batch, so I supplemented them with some chopped up dark chocolate, and then modified my reliable oat'n'raisin cookies to instead be chocolate-heavy. I was a bit nervous, as last time I tried this it was for "carrot-cake cookies", which were a complete disaster.

These came out fine...a nice crunchy outer, leading to a gooey soft inner, with a good crack over the surface. This recipe makes 18-20 of them.

Triple Chocolate Cookies - Recipe

  • Pre-heat oven to 170'C
  • Line 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment.

Ingredients

  • 200g soft dark brown sugar
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 170g softened butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 250g plain flour
  • 40g cocoa powder
  • ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ½tsp salt
  • 100g rolled oats
  • 60g white chocolate chips
  • 60g dark chocolate chips (I used chopped up 70% cooking chocolate)
1) Place the sugars and butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment

2) Beat thoroughly until light and soft. You'll need to scrape it down a couple of times.

3) Add the egg and egg yolk, and again mix until light and soft

4) Sieve in the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and mix until just combined

5) Add in the oats, and again just mix until evenly combined

6) Finally, add in the chocolate bits, and mix once more.

7) Form 18 balls of dough, rolling them in your hand. They should be roughly the size of a squash ball (you'll get a little messy, but getting even dough balls now leads to neater biscuits when you bake them)

8) Place 9 balls on each baking tray, well spaced out.

9) Bake each tray for 13 minutes. They are done once the biscuits have flattened and cracked on top. It's key you don't over-bake them...you want the edges just crisp, but the middles to be chewy.

10) remove the tray from the oven, and allow the biscuits to cool on the tray for 4-5 minutes

11) carefully remove to a wire rack to finish cooling